Best Foods for Hangovers
It’s amazing to hear what food people think to help them with hangovers. Some swear by greasy fast food; others suggest drinking hangovers. So we decided to take the time and to review what is the best food for hangovers.
Best Hangover Foods should contain some of these things
- Protein (contain amino acids)
- Magnesium and Potassium (you lose these electrolytes when drinking)
- Cysteine (helps your liver break down the alcohol)
- B Vitamins (replenishes vitamins lost while drinking)
- Calcium (helps neutralise gastric acid)
Best Things to Eat for Hangover
- Soy Beans – Soybeans are the best food for a hangover. Raw soybeans are preferred but cooked soybeans will work. Soybeans are high in Cysteine which helps lead to the breakdown of Acetaldehyde (toxic to our bodies). Also, soybeans are high in protein, magnesium, calcium, and vitamin b.
- Eggs – You might want to consider eating some eggs after a night of drinking. Eggs are high in protein and cysteine, which will help break down any alcohol left in your system. Not to mention eggs are also high in B vitamins.
- Almonds – Almonds are one of the best food to eat for hangovers. Ever wonder why some more traditional bars offer nuts? Almonds are a great food to help with hangovers. They are packed with high levels of protein and are a tremendous source of magnesium.
- Chicken or Turkey – Eating a protein in the morning is usually your best breakfast for a hangover. Try to focus on more lean meats like chicken or turkey. Not only does chicken and turkey contain protein, magnesium, and some vitamins, but it contains L-Tryptophan. L-Tryptophan is the precursor to serotonin which is an important neurotransmitter. A lot of people feel anxious or depressed after drinking and raising your serotonin levels can help.
- Leafy Greens – Having a salad is a great idea to help with your hangover. Leafy greens are full of B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, and calcium. It’s easy on your stomach, healthy for you, and will help drastically with your hangover. If you are going for the last meal, try adding some soybeans or chicken to your salad.
- Tomato Juice – Taking tomato juice is one of the good food for hangover to add to your eat list.
Other best food for hangovers
There are plenty of other best food for hangovers that didn’t make this list. All sorts of fruits and vegetables are going to be helpful for a hangover. Most foods that contain protein will be good hangover food as well, including fish if you can stomach it. Some soups can be great but try to avoid soups that are too high in sodium.
Prefer food that contains cysteine because it breaks down alcohol and helps the person to eliminate alcohol from the body. You can take the chicken in the greasy food as it contains a considerable amount of cysteine that shows positive results in a hangover.
• Add leafy greens in your greasy hangover food to get the right amount of potassium and lessen the severity of hangover pain
• Take coconut water drinks or fruit juices as these drinks have a good amount of electrolytes
• Eat an egg or use yogurt in the breakfast to fasten the speed of digestion
• Bread in the greasy food items is rich of taurine that removes hangover symptoms
Hangover drink might dehydrate the body. Patients who drink water are also relieved from hangover sickness.
Best Things to Drink after a Hangover
- Sports drinks
- Coconut Water
- Ginger Tea/ Ginger Ale
- Peppermint Tea
- Apple Juice
- CarnBerry Juice
- Pickle Juice
- Orange Juice
Is Greasy Food Good for Hangovers?
Hangover is a severe pain that persists more than 24 hours. The increased amount of alcohol and its byproducts disturbs stomach and nervous system. The patients use vitamin B and anti-hangover pills to cure a hangover; alcohol beverages contain sugar which makes your pancreas work hard to pump insulin. Doctors consider food as the best cure for hangover, but the question is which food is best for a hangover. Is greasy food good for hangovers or not? Does greasy food absorbs alcohol? Here in the article, we will try to answer these questions.
Greasy Food and Hangover
Greasy food includes fried food, burger, sandwiches, and French fries. These oil rich food items are delicious in the taste but have a small capacity of alcohol absorption. Alcohol causes stomach irritation and upsets it by eliminating liquids. Some people have a poor experience of greasy food for hangover, and they strictly discourage this idea. Low alcohol absorption is the underlying reason behind it because fatty food items are saturated to the extent that they don’t dissolve more byproducts. Also, the reaction rate of saturated foods/drinks is very low as compared to other food items.
Serious problems with Greasy Food
Greasy food after a night drink triggers stomach problems. Intestines and stomach problems are very common. Greasy food is not the best food to eat after drinking is like putting fuel over the fire. It increases the pain and slows down the digestion process. Most noteworthy, the chances of heart problems also raise due to the greasy food items. The risks get higher with the higher age.
Is Greasy Food Useless for Hangover?
The answer is in negation. Then why is greasy food good for hangovers? First of all, we can’t deny the fact that greasy food doesn’t show satisfactory results for a hangover. Meanwhile, slow working doesn’t mean working at all. You may get relief from the pain after many hours than the citric food items, but it’s still better instead of not eating anything. Eating foods that you love gives you an emotional benefit of knowing that you are eating something which pleases your mind. This good feeling will boost your mood and help the immune system.
Drinking is a habit which is harmful to the health. Avoid excess alcohol to prevent the risks of various diseases. Greasy food in hangover is suggested when you don’t have anything else to eat. Take NAC before and after drinking to decrease the hangover symptoms.
Don’t drink alcohol in the morning
Drinking alcohol in the morning is NOT a hangover cure. All it does is delay your hangover. Adding more alcohol just causes your BAC to rise again, which will eventually make your hangover worse. Try some of the food options instead. You might start noticing you don’t feel as sorry in the morning.